The ASNM-L listserv is a simple method to share information with members and to learn about ASNM and affiliate society activities, archaeological jobs and events, and archaeological news. A listserv is a system in which individual emails are sent to a central computer. The central computer then forwards the message to all members of the listserv. All messages forwarded by the listserv are exactly like any individual emails you receive now. Please read all rules and etiquette guidelines listed below as subscription to the ASNM-L listerv and use of it acknowledges acceptance of these.
To subscribe to the ASNM-L
Send a message To: email@example.com
Leave the Subject field blank.
In the body of message type (with no other text):
subscribe ASNM-L YourFirstname YourLastname
ASNM-L Listserv Rules
- The listserv is for ASNM members. Individuals who are not ASNM members or whose memberships have lapsed may be removed at any point without notice by the ASNM-L Admin.
- Don’t challenge or attack others. The discussions on the lists are meant to stimulate conversation, not create contention.
- Use caution when discussing products or services. Information posted on the listserv is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws. Keep criticism on an objective basis that is factually verifiable and skip commentary about character, competence, or motive to minimize legal risk.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited.
- ASNM and other email list participants retain the right to reproduce postings to this listserv.
- Signing up to the listserv and its use acknowledges agreement with all stated rules and adherence to the etiquette guidelines listed below. Failure to comply may result in removal from the listserv without notice. The ASNM President and ASNM-L Admin will evaluate messages for appropriateness and address complaints.
ASNM-L Listserv Etiquette
- Include a signature tag on all messages. Include your name, affiliation (as appropriate), and email address.
- State clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line.
- Only send a message to the entire list when it contains information that either all or an uncertain many members can benefit from.
- Do not reply all to the listserv with messages such as “thanks for the information” or “I agree.”
- Do not send administrative messages, such as remove me from the list or please update my email address, to the entire list serv. Email the listserv admin (listed above) or the ASNM Admin email. Additionally, do not send messages disputing messages submitted to the listserv to the entire listserv or the sender. Disagreements over the appropriateness of a message sent to the listserv go to the ASNM-L Admin or the ASNM Admin email.
An Important Note about using REPLY and REPLY-ALL
This list is set so that a REPLY is to the message sender and a REPLY-All is to both the list and the message sender. This approach allows a private reply if you don’t wish the entire list to see your reply. Using the REPLY-ALL furthers the discussion.